Monday, February 7, 2011

Muffin Tin Mom "Jonah and the Whale" Pancakes

"But the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights." Jonah 1:17 NIV

Why is it that we only notice things when our hearts are open to them? For example, I've thought a lot lately about what I should do for my children's schooling next year.  I know that as they get older, they will be exposed more and more to worldy things.  So I've really been praying a lot if we should homeschool, go public school or choose Christian school? Why I'm thinking about this in February nonstop when there is penty of time to decide, I don't know. Anyhow, because my heart is open to this topic, I hear and notice anything around me that relates to this.  It's funny how it works that way and I was thinking that it would  be so wonderful if our hearts would be open and receptive to God at all times, not just when we are ready to listen. So..."Lord, please help us to have open hearts and minds so that we can hear your voice and walk in wisdom from you."
And...speaking of listening to God, I decided to have Jonah and the Whale for my theme for Muffin Tin Monday at lunch time. I absolutely loved having a Bible theme because it really gave me a chance to teach my kids about Jonah and the importance of listening and following God. The majority of my tin is made up of my pancake art. Also in the muffin tin is cut up string cheese and chocolate sunken ocean "treasure" coins. We also talked about how God's love is our real treasure in life.
The outside ocean waves are made of pancakes and the pancake swirls under the whale are supposed to represent the stormy seas that Jonah experienced. Also in the tin is yogurt with sprinkles, fish crackers and blueberries.
My picky eater ate all the blueberries and I was very happy about this! Yeah!
Oh I almost forgot, the pancake whale has a mini marshmallow eye with a chocolate chip for the center and he has a mouth made from a Starburst candy that I softened in the microwave. The pancake loops behind the whale was really hard to flip and it did break in one spot.
Later on today I made Jonah's boat for a snack out of a cut up apple, pretzel, mini M&Ms, a few marshmallows and blueberries. It's really just an apple cut in half and then cored. I used the other apple half to cut out a mast. If you want to make one too, just make sure and pre-poke a hole in the apple so that the pretzel can fit in it without breaking.
My oldest child and I really liked how the bottom of the apple boat left a pretty color by the mini M&Ms after they were eaten. Thank you so much for visiting and come back again soon! I have quite a few pancake art ideas coming up that I'm excited to share!

Hugs!
Jenni

15 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Your whale and waves are terrific! I don't think I could have made as pretty a lunch! The boat is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni,

    I struggle with the same things on school!I go back and forth between home-school/public school? We don't have a strong christian school around or that would be my first choice.

    I really struggle with home school on the areas of robbing them of all the different programs "school" can offer. It is amazing how far they have come in arts, music, sports, technology...things they can use in real life...or least find what they are passionate about.

    Also you have to prepare them from the real world sometime. Fill them up with God's word and pray for godly friends!

    I hope you find peace about the choice, when you do let me know! lol!

    "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it"~proverbs 22:6

    ReplyDelete
  3. You NEVER cease to amaze me!!!! This is so completely adorable girl! Fabulous ideas Jenni...I love how you teach Biblical truths through the creative use of food. Oh, and just my 2 cents about schooling...it seems to me that you would be a wonderful homeschooler since you are already doing it by the creative life you lead and how you pass that on to your children. What a gift to them...what a heritage! Of course you can still do that no matter how they are schooled, it just seems to me that you would be so very good at it!

    I LOVE coming by here...it always warms my heart and makes me happy!!

    Hugs & Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so creative! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woooooooooooooow! I am in serious awe of your mad skillz/ just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is incredible!! Don't you just love Muffin Tin lunches?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous! I'm totally saving this link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pancake art is fantastic! I never heard of this before.... It's beautiful!

    ~Rockabye Butterfly~

    http://rockabyebutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so amazing! Am now following by the way. Your lovely creations belong in a wonderful coffee table book or something. I love creative food. I have tried creating things with pancakes but even tyring to squirt them from a squeeze bottle, all I seem to do is make a mess! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful food! We homeschool and we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Another 2 cents from a homeschool. It is a wonderful way to limit the negative influences affecting our kids at such an early age. There are so many wonderful homeschool groups and networks for enrichment, music and sports that they don't need to miss out on those activities. I find your February obsession amusing as I do this each January as I decide what curriculum items to purchase for the following year. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it! You are truly a talented artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband works for a private Christian school and it really does seem to make a big difference with the kids. There are often problems (either behavior or academic) with students that transfer in from the public schools ~ although their parents might have pulled them out of public school simply because they were getting into too much trouble already? I don't know.

    Sometimes a student who has been going there for a long time (they have elementary and middle there too) will transfer to public school for a sports program, or because of money problems, and they usually end up returning. I can't imagine the culture shock! I know I had some pretty bad friends in (public) high school, but looking back I know that there was not a lot to choose from. A really good church youth program could make all of the difference with that, but they can be hard to find and can quickly fizzle out.

    ReplyDelete