Monday

Bunny Pancakes Tutorial

 II Cor. 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: 
old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
 
I'm super excited to have my bunny pancake tutorial featured on Muffin Tin Mom's website today! These bunny pancakes are perfect for spring and are super fun for your kids!

This recipe makes about three bunny pancakes depending on the size that you make them. The bunnies in the photo are sized around 4”x5 ½.
 Supplies
-Griddle or large skillet
-Pam Cooking Spray
-Large mixing bowl
-Water
-Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix (the just add water mix)
-Electric mixer
-Two Condiment Squirt Bottles (can be found at Walmart)
-Red Food Coloring
-Paper Towels
-Spatula
-Spoons for mixing
-Candy (chocolate chips, red M&Ms)
-Measuring Cup
You had better taste the candy to make sure it's good!
Get out your large bowl and mix with a spoon 1 cup plus 1-2 Tablespoons of pancake batter with ¾ cup of water. You want your batter thick enough to “draw” with but not too much where it wont squeeze out of the squirt bottle. Grab your electric mixer and stir until it's well blended. If you have too many lumps, they will clog up your squirt bottle. Pour 1/3 cup of batter slowly into one of the condiment squirt bottles. This will be your white color. Put 7 drops of red food coloring into the remaining batter (there should be about 2/3 cup left) and stir with a spoon until the batter is pink. 
Pour the pink batter slowly into the other squirt bottle. Make sure and have paper towels handy to clean up any drips.
Next, spray your griddle with cooking spray but do not turn it on yet.

Step One: Draw a circle with the pink batter.
Step Two: Draw bunny ears with the pink batter.
Step Three: Using the white batter, draw the inside of the ears and the mouth area.
Step Four: Turn on your griddle to the lowest setting (between 200-225 degrees) and let the outlines cook. Wait until they seemed puffed up before continuing. These cooked outlines keep the batter from spreading out so that the shape stays in place.
Step Five: Fill in the bunny with the pink batter as shown in the photo.
Step Six: Using the white batter now, fill in the remaining outlines as shown in the photo. Wait to flip the bunny until the batter is bubbly and looks mostly cooked.
Decorate your bunny pancakes with chocolate chip eyes and M&M's for little noses. You can let your kids have fun with this part. They might even want to try different candy colors for noses or raisins for eyes.
Here's a few fun "Behind the Scenes" on the bunny pancakes

*My kids dressed up and had a spring time tea party with the bunny pancakes.
*They loved the tea party so much, they asked to do it again!
*I read a book about the true meaning of Easter while my kids ate their food.
*I served chocolate milk instead of tea, small pieces of cheese, apples and of course the bunny pancakes.
*This tea party set was a high school graduation present from a family friend.
*My kids were afraid to eat the bunnies because they didn't want to ruin them.
*We only had two chocolate milk spills during our tea party.
*My backyard had toys all over the place from my kids playing last weekend so I had to go outside and clean it up for the photos. I debated about it, but I was embarrassed about the messiness through the windows which I suppose is silly because you can't even see much outside anyway in the photos! Hee! Hee!

Happy Bunny Pancake Making!

Jenni


26 comments:

  1. Love it! We have tea parties as well...with juice or soda...but only when Jude is napping...he like to break things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni, you know I'm your biggest fan! Thank you, thank you! for this wonderful tutorial. I once tried your pancakes using the squirty bottles from walmart and it didnt work. So I put it down to not having your talent and just enjoyed your pics as you made them. But now, after reading this post, I think it may have been the batter was too thick/runny. You have inspired me to give it another try!

    Can I say that, as a Christian also, I love that you shared the real story of easter with your kids as they had their bunny pancakes. What blessed children you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Kelly! I'm glad your going to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! this is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations on being featured on MTM! I'll have to give it a try myself this weekend. Next weekend is Emma's birthday and I'd really love to include the pancakes as a part of her party (its fairy themed).

    Although there will be a whole lot of experimenting.... I need to make the batter from scratch (i can't find a pancake mix in Cyprus) and I've no idea where to look for the condiment bottles! (although I guess I could use empty ketchup bottles...)

    Also, I wanted to ask you. I have a whole lot of preparing and baking to do for the birthday as I want to do it all myself so its all spread out over a 3 day period. Could I do the pancakes 2 days in advance and keep them in the fridge? Or maybe one day? its only a day or two before the party, will I really have to freeze them?

    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wouldn't have to freeze them a day before the party but I would for sure if it's more than a day. They would taste better if you do freeze them though. Pancakes thaw out very quickly just sitting on the counter for around 30 minutes. Then you can just microwave them.

    Do you have craft stores there? I have used candy squeeze bottles that I bought in a craft store but the batter has to be much thinner for them to work since they are so small.

    A ketchup bottle might work but with that, I would make the batter a little thicker because it might come out quicker and you want to have a good control over your drawing.

    If you make them, let me know how things turn out! Happy Birthday to Emma! A fairy theme will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe if my trial batch succeeds I'll freeze that and just thaw it just before the party!

    Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are SO cute! I have to try this! Thanks for sharing your amazing pancake artistry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pancakes are amazing! I would love to try this and share your link on my blog. Would that be ok with you? My blog is www.angelstreetmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so fun! I love it! Hope you don't mind my sharing them with my FB fans! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am soooo doing this for my kids at Easter. They will absolutely love them. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I am sharing your link with my facebook friends. :-)

    I think I am going to give them a try for Easter. My boys LOVE pancakes.

    Thanks for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. really cute and fun!!!
    Let me know if you have a facebook page or twitter, I stumbled this :) everyone should see how cute they are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could these get any cuter??!!

    We featured these on our blog:

    http://jennipriceillustration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry! posted the wrong link:

    http://holidaysnobs.blogspot.com/2011/04/fun-with-food-for-easter.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. We thought this was a super fun recipe for kids, so we shared it on our site! Very creative!

    all the best,
    Sherry + Wendy @ Kiboomu

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in love with what you do with pancakes! These are particularly adorable! I'll be posting a link to your beautiful, tasty blog in one of my posts later today. Thanks for all the amazing, yummy art!

    Julie
    http://hippobargains.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. So creative, and absolutely adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this great tutorial!! I made some for our Easter Brunch and they turned out amazing!

    You are so unbelievably talented, it's amazing what you create with just some pancake batter! I'm in awe of you!

    Come check out pics of my pancakes!
    http://memoriesbyannadawn.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-carrot-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! So beautiful and CUTE! Can't resist posting a link on our blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!! Double WOW!! What a fantastic imagination!! You are so blest with a GREAT gift!! Thank you for sharing!! Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We thought these pancakes were so gorgeous, we just had to pin a link to our "Fun with Food" Pinterest board (http://pinterest.com/schoolwearplus/plus-fun-with-food/) in time for Pancake Day. We hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! Amazing Idea... I shared this on our blog http://www.momsters.in/2013/03/easter-bunny-pancakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super felicidades por tu creatividad saludos desde México

    ReplyDelete
  24. This adorable post is shared on www.facebook.com/pinkalicious :-)

    ReplyDelete