Monday, February 6, 2012

Owl Painted Fondant Cookie

....that ye might be filled with the knowledge 
of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
Colossians 1:9

I thought this verse above was fitting for a wise owl...don't ya think?
Anyhow, I've been working on this new painted cookie topper. I love owls, they are so cute with their big eyes.

Shall I show you some of my process? 

I think I heard a "yes" or a "I guess so".....either way, here we go!

So I began sketching and sketching with my brown soft gel food coloring. 
Lets take a big leap to the part when I put down my base coat layer for all the colors. I let every color dry before adding shading layers.

I always paint at least three layers of shading (but usually more) and then a few texture layers.  
I better stop this painting fun to show you that I did make a fresh batch of almond vanilla sugar cookies-YUM!

Now I have a cookie "base" for my fondant painting.
I've been asked several times how long these usually take to make so here is the run down:
  • 1 hour to paint the fondant topper 
  • 1 hour to bake the cookies 
  • 1 hour to make the homemade fondant and roll it out (if it's marshmallow fondant)

Whew! That took awhile but now my little owl is complete and happy BUT a little worried looking and I'm sure I know why!

Munch...Munch....Crunch!

Blessings,
Jenni

11 comments:

  1. That is just beyond amazing....do you have a fan page? I just shared your post on mine but I would like to share your page too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lizy! So, so nice of you! What is a fan page? Is it facebook?

      Delete
  2. Wow these are excellent! They are so cute and I love your illustration style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah...love your art too (both cookies and paintings!)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness Jenni....this is too cute! You are such a great artist! We are hosting our first Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party this Friday (the 10th) and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! You are so sweet! Thanks for the invite....should be lots of fun!

      Delete
  4. He is so adorable, another fabulous job Jenni! So envious of your amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are a great artist! I love the painted cookies especially, they are wonderful! Great job! :)

    www.mycakecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Cookie painting is...Oh..so..much...fun!

      Delete
  6. Hello Jenni, may I know what kind of solvent you used to dilute the food color? water or alcohol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use water to dilute the paint and then I use clear vanilla extract with water for any shading that I do. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete